A leading global insurance services provider with a strong reputation in the marine insurance sector.
We currently have an interesting opportunity for a Legal Director to provide legal expertise, manage the key legal functions of The Club and support the Director of Claims.
- Supervise the handling of Defence class claims and the management of claims peer audits, correspondents, and technical and legal advisors.
- Assist the Director of Claims with discretionary P&I class claims, board papers and claims initiatives.
- Provide claims input in relation to loss prevention and underwriting.
- Promote the club's policies on key issues.
- Manage the club's representation on IG subcommittees and working groups.
- Brief club representatives for attendance at IG managers' meetings.
- Manage the 'go-to' team, ensuring the publication of relevant material.
- Review club publications to ensure quality, relevance and appropriateness.
- Supervise the drafting of club rules and claims procedures.
- Provide claims input in relation to certificate wordings.
- Responsible for the appropriate provision of guarantees.
Training and support
- Manage in-house training and the legal development of claims staff.
- Undertake legal research and prepare advice to claims and underwriting staff.
- Participate in the Large Claims Review Team and support claims staff.
- Promote the club, 'cross selling' within the group and positive client relationships.
A qualified lawyer or barrister with previous experience of legal work in a private practice or at the Bar is preferred; and experience of working in an international P&I club is desirable.
The successful candidate will have strong shipping law experience with an exceptional eye for detail and a flexible and a client focused approach.
In addition, you will have excellent communication skills, the aability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and be able to deal with conflicting agendas and meet deadlines.
Additional language skills would be an advantage.
Lipson Lloyd Jones Ltd is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy. Please note our advertisements use PQE levels purely as a guide to the minimum level of experience required. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfill this kind of work.