We are looking for a committed, able and enthusiastic person to work in our national Public & Regulatory Law team. This is an exciting opportunity to be involved in the legal implications of high profile issues in the public sector at the moment.
Handling own caseload, encompassing the full range of regulatory and public law work within the team (with appropriate level of support and supervision). Advising on public and regulatory law including:
* Public law principles and the grounds for judicial review
* The Equality Act 2010 and human rights compliance
* Information law: Freedom of Information, Data Protection and confidentiality issues
* Charity law
Within these areas of law, you are likely to be involved in a number of different types of work, including:
* Statutory interpretation and some drafting of directions, regulations etc.
* Formulation, implementation and defence of policies and decision-making processes and advice on the exercise of statutory functions
* Establishment and governance of organisations, including chartered bodies, drafting constitutional documents
* Litigation: much of it judicial review, but also other litigation such as statutory appeals and procurement claims, Information Rights Tribunal proceedings and Equality Act claims
* Advising internal appeal panels
* Advising on information law particularly FOIA
* Advising on all aspects of charity law
* Qualified solicitor or barrister with previous experience (ideally 1-4 PQE/call) of public law work. Enthusiasm for/interest in the public sector context is essential.
* Highly-motivated, sharing our commitment to providing an excellent service to our clients.
* Strong academic background coupled with the ability to formulate and present sound, coherent advice, both orally and in writing.
* Ability to think creatively and pragmatically to add value and provide risk-focused, practical advice.
* Ability to deal confidently and professionally with clients on a day to day basis and to develop relationships with individual clients;
* Ability to work effectively with colleagues, participate in team-working and develop relationships within the firm.
* Willingness to take responsibility and ownership of client work, balancing confidence in your own ability and appropriate self-sufficiency with a willingness to learn and awareness of the boundaries of your own competence/authority.
We have one of the largest and most respected public and regulatory law teams in the UK. The team is spread across our offices and we will look at candidates for Birmingham, Manchester and Newcastle .
Our clients include central and local government, non-departmental public bodies, NHS organisations, organisations in the education sector, statutory and chartered bodies and regulators, as well as private health and social care providers and other companies and charities working for or with the public sector. This role is focused on regulatory and public law work across this range of clients.
You will work in an integrated way with colleagues in our competition and procurement teams and colleagues who provide health regulatory, commercial and other advisory services.
A number of our lawyers have worked in the public sector, whilst others have a wholly private sector background. This blend of expertise has contributed to a formidable record of success, both in litigation and in delivering other solutions to the challenges our clients face, across a wide range of public law issues. This is where we make the best of our broad experience, which has been developed through the sheer variety and depth of client work.
Lipson Lloyd Jones Ltd is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.