Our client is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. They are looking for a Planning solicitor to join the Birmingham office
The Planning team continues to go from strength to strength. Due to the number of large projects in the pipeline there is a need to recruit an additional senior specialist planning solicitor to the team.
We are also keen to build on the considerable growth and momentum experienced over the last few years and would like to meet individuals who are able to help continue to grow the Planning practice.
Our specialist Planning Team handles a large variety of high quality work for both private and public sector clients. The team is currently advising on some of the largest projects in the country. Examples of the type of work the team is advising in connection with include:
- Various strategic residential and New Town projects - including advising on a new garden town which is to comprise 23,000 dwellings and major infrastructure
- Promoting over 10 major CPO projects, including various major highways CPO's and regeneration projects
- DCO's and Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects - including Wylfa Nuclear DCO, North Wales Connection DCO and Ferrybridge Power Station DCO applications
- Judicial review challenges, including one going to the Court of Appeal in March 2019
- Day to day planning advisory work for clients of the firm
The national team works collaboratively across offices, undertaking high quality work in a supportive and flexible environment.
To have conduct of matters and work collaboratively with other members of the team to meet client needs, including on the types of project referred to in the "Department" section above.
To help deliver further growth for the Planning practice both nationally and in the relevant location.
Main duties and responsibilities
Work collaboratively with members of the Planning team and wider firm to meet client needs
- Have conduct of matters, providing clients with commercially focussed planning advice and guidance
- Help deliver growth for the Planning practice both nationally and in the relevant location
- Produce and implement a business development plan
- Lead on business development initiatives and assist with marketing and training
- Achieve set financial and chargeable targetsKPIs
- Ensure relevant deadlines and quality measures are adhered to
- Comply with relevant policies and procedures
- Work in accordance with the firms' values
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role.
The person specification
- Qualified solicitor
- At least five years experience in Planning law, with at least some experience gained within private practice
- The ideal candidate will have strong experience in one of more of the following areas:
drafting complex section 106 agreements for large residential developments; and
advising in relation to DCO applications
- Technically strong and commercially sound
- The ideal candidate will be based in Birmingham, but we will also consider strong candidates in other locations
- A following is not essential, but enthusiasm for growing client relationships and business development is important. A track record of previous growth/ client relationship management is desirable
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent time management and organisation skills
- A team player, who has the ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative