This role will involve acting for major corporates or trustees of pension schemes providing advice in a wide range of pensions law, including some or all of the following:
- Advising clients on how best to deliver their objectives, despite the complexities of pensions law
- Drafting scheme documentation (e.g. establishing CARE schemes and deeds of amendment);
- Legislative changes including tax simplification issues and the Pensions Bill;
- Pension scheme mergers;
- Scheme wind ups;
- Scheme changes (e.g. reducing accrual or increasing member contributions);
- Investment issues, such as investment management agreements;
- TUPE issues;
- Corporate support.
- Pensions investment law.
- Pensions disputes and litigation.
- Liability reduction exercises.
- Working on cutting edge legal developments as they arise.
We like our lawyers to develop their own personalities in the pensions market from the outset - involving themselves in business development and profile raising as well as pure legal work. There are also opportunities for public speaking, within the firm and on a broader stage.
Not all of our lawyers do all of these areas of work: some specialise in (or in other cases, chose not to work on) public sector pensions, pensions disputes, pensions investment issues or the overlap with employment law, for example.
In addition, the team offers lawyers the scope (if they wish) to spend some time working in specialist sub-teams, dealing with very topical issues such as:
- SPVs and other new, structured funding solutions;
- advising on the new legal issues arising out of Fiduciary Management;
- public sector pensions law, especially as it relates to private sector employers;
- the future of DC provision;
- latest developments in trustee governance;
- latest developments in employer-side liability management.
The ideal candidate for this role will be a qualified Solicitor with at least 18 months PQE.
Some or all of the following (depending on the level of qualification) would be helpful in a qualified solicitor seeking to join us:
- Demonstrable post qualification experience gained in the field of pensions law at a firm / department with a proven reputation in this field
- An excellent understanding of the principal provisions in relevant pensions legislation
- Experience of taking an active role in building and maintaining client relationships
- Experience of participating in client development events
- A clear understanding of the importance of accurate and efficient financial management
- Experience of assisting partners and associates with a broad range of marketing and profile raising initiatives
- Experience of assisting other team members with writing technical articles and the presentation of seminars and other briefing sessions
- A developed understanding of the commercial issues impacting on a client's business
We would look for the successful applicant to have:
- Solid organisation and time management skills
- Experience of working in a team and the ability to develop relationships with colleagues and clients alike
- Proven attention to detail and drafting skills
- Sound problem solving skills
- The ability to adapt to a broad range of situations and circumstances and remain calm under pressure
- Proven understanding of technical legal issues in their chosen field
- Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills