Court of Protection Paralegal/Lawyer Newcastle
We are a full-service law firm based in Newcastle upon Tyne serving clients throughout the UK and further afield. We have an outstanding reputation for delivering high quality partner-led advice with exceptional personal service.
With over 200 employees, including 29 partners and 120 lawyers, we are one of the largest law firms in the North East. Our client base includes large companies, owner managed businesses, healthcare professionals, leisure operators and rural businesses.
With a history stretching back over 100 years, we recognise the importance the contribution that businesses like ours should and can have on the local community and we, therefore, encourage our employees to get involved and give back to the local community in which we live and work.
Our vision is to set the standard for legal excellence and in doing so, to become the law firm of choice for businesses, organisations and individuals. To meet our vision and deliver an outstanding service we employ individuals who understand our clients' needs, take pride in what they do and how they do it. If this sounds like a vision you would like to be a part of and you meet the requirements of the role below, we'd be delighted to hear from you.
We are looking to expand our Court of Protection team to support our ambitious growth plans and would welcome the opportunity to talk to candidates who would like to join our specialist team which is one of the biggest and most diverse in the North East. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on a broad range of Court of Protection matters and should have experience in this area of law.
In this role, you would be working closely with the firm's professional deputies, Personal Injury Department, clients and their close friends and family, alongside support therapists and other professional advisors. You should have excellent client care skills.
Your role will include the following, but additional tasks may be appropriate for the role:
- Assist in the provision of administrative and legal services for clients.
- Attend clients at hospitals, care homes and in their own home.
- Provide friendly day-to-day contact with clients and an efficient service for their individual lifestyle requirements.
- Produce plain English letters, court applications and other documents as required.
- Prepare annual reports for submission to the Office of the Public Guardian and answer any queries raised by the Office of the Public Guardian.
- Make regular payments to clients and keep accurate schedules of these payments, forecast forward spending and create budgets.
- Assist, where requested, with the provision of legal advice to clients, under supervision.
- Manage a busy workload and report on progress; be able to exercise an appropriate balance between having confidence in your own judgement and knowing when to refer decisions to others.
- Manage the handover process where we are taking over a file from a previous deputy.
- Instruct relevant professionals to prepare assessments of capacity, care or therapeutic need when such a report is required.
- Consider financial review documents prepared for client investments.
- Manage the discharge procedure if a client regains capacity, changes deputy or dies.
- Be comfortable working under pressure with the ability to plan and prioritise work; have an appreciation of fee earner needs and constraints; be commercially aware.
- Continue to develop your legal ability. Committed to your personal development and technical ability required for the role.
We require a self-motivated, highly organised and enthusiastic individual with experience of working with the Court of Protection who can work quickly and accurately, often within tight timescales.
While candidates will ideally be interested in working full-time hours, part-time working options will also be considered.
- Salary will be commensurate with experience.
- Comprehensive benefits package.
- Opportunity to work within a highly regarded and growing team.
Opportunity for career progression
Lipson Lloyd Jones Ltd is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.