The Regulatory Public and Commercial Disputes NSL (RPCD) provides contentious and advisory legal services to a range of education, health, commercial and personal clients. We are looking for a junior lawyer who is flexible in their outlook and has an appetite to work for a broad range of clients - you may be called upon from time to time to work in any part of the NSL.
The role will involve working under supervision with the whole team in Manchester giving support as necessary. Within RPCD Manchester the following key areas are represented in addition to the broad range of general commercial disputes:
- Contentious trusts and probate
- Insolvency and Restructuring
- Reputation Management
The NSL's work in Manchester includes:
- Representing a wide range of clients in dispute resolution processes whether through in the High Court, County Court, arbitral and other tribunals, mediation and other ADR processes. The work includes commercial contract disputes, partnership and shareholder disputes, litigation arising from corporate transactions, shareholder disputes, warranty claims insolvency litigation, intellectual property disputes, fraud, procurement issues, claimant professional negligence
- Providing corporate support on issues arising pre and post deals
- Disputes arising out of the sports sector including mis-selling, reputation management and contractual issues
- Advising clients in the food and beverage sector on all disputes (including GSCOP)
- Advising clients on high value contentious trust and probate matters often with international aspects
- Reputation management issues for education, healthcare, pharma and sports clients
- Investigating claims arising from the insolvency of companies (including breach of duty by directors, transaction at undervalue and preferences) and advising insolvency office-holders bringing proceedings
- Advising the Insolvency Service (government agency) on director disqualification proceedings and public interesting winding up.
We are looking for a candidate to join the team and embrace the opportunity for broad experience and manage a varied caseload.
You will be NQ+ years with experience of dispute resolution gained in private practice.
Skills and attributes
- Good academics - 2.1 degree or equivalent and good A levels or equivalents
- Academic ability yet a practical approach
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written English and ability to produce clear, logical drafting
- An ability to seek creative solutions
- High quality analytical and technical skills
- Able to turn detailed analysis into user-friendly advice for clients (external and interna0
- Commercial awareness and common sense
- Ability to make legal/commercial judgements and offer practical advice
- Able to work to tight deadlines
- Negotiating skills]
- IT literacy
- Good research skills, including an ability to use online information sources
- Lateral thinking and problem solving skills
- Enthusiasm towards building and strengthening relationships with clients and their advisers
- Flexibility to work with several team members
- Effective time and matter management and a systematic approach to work
- Proactive team player
What else should I know?
This firm is a major UK law firm renowned for its outstanding service to national and international clients, for its collaborative culture and for its deep sector expertise.
The firm has a strong sector focus with expertise in agriculture, charities, education, food and beverage, health, insurance, private wealth, real estate investment, sport and technology. Clients include businesses from PLCs to start-ups, high net worth individuals and landowners, more than 120 universities, colleges and education bodies and over 100 healthcare organisations.
This is a great opportunity to join a forward thinking law firm and our stats speak for themselves.
You will develop your career with a firm named for a record 16th year running as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For in The Sunday Times' annual survey, and is one of only a small number of organisations nationally to have achieved a listing for 16 years running, and the only UK law firm.
We are delighted to report we were named winners of Roll On Friday Firm of the Year 2019.
We have also achieved the much sought after Three Star Accreditation and been named as one of 100 Best Mid-Sized Companies to Work For as a result of outstanding levels of staff engagement and the firm's commitment to creating a positive working environment for all employees.