Our client is a global powerhouse representing leading international businesses, advising clients on cross border transactions, international commercial disputes and regulation specialising in industries including financial services, life sciences, health care, energy and natural resources, entertainment and media, shipping and real estate.
Our client is seeking a junior/mid-level asset finance associate to join their very highly regarded team. The asset finance team principally focuses on ship finance and aviation finance, is part of the market-leading Shipping Group and has extensive experience advising on transactions in all sectors of the asset finance industry.
Our client regularly acts for major international banks, export credit agencies, funds, lessors, ship owners, airlines, equity providers, private individuals and builders and manufacturers across a whole spectrum of shipping and aviation deals.
The role will entail: -
- Drafting, reviewing and amending documentation
- Strategically advising clients in meetings, on the phone and in writing
- Managing client expectations and project delivery appropriately
- Business development - development of personal plan, assistance with and implementation of business development campaign
- Legal research
- Supervision of junior team members
- Identifying key legal and commercial issues and risks
- Providing support to clients and colleagues by working in integrated teams with clients and a full range of consultants and other industry stakeholders
- Managing large analysis of legal issues and research within team and supervising as appropriate
- Inputting and participating in pitch/panel presentations
- Identifying hot topics and supporting business development initiatives (including client presentations, webinars, social medial strategy)
You will require: -
- Strong technical knowledge of the legal framework surrounding asset finance particularly in the fields of shipping and/or aviation, but with a willingness to work in both sectors (even where skills in one or the other may currently be more developed)
- Outstanding academic credentials
- Intellectual curiosity and versatility
- Excellent attention to detail
- The ability to demonstrate a high degree of sector knowledge and commercial awareness with the ability to deliver creative and pragmatic solutions and advice
- Excellent verbal and written communication and drafting skills
- Self-confidence with a proactive, pragmatic approach to tasks and projects
- Highly enthusiastic and self-motivated with the desire and ability to continuously acquire, build upon and share knowledge
- Strong desire to be proactively involved in business development and marketing with a view to handling networking and client contact from the outset
- Commitment to provide excellent client service and the highest professional conduct
You will be a qualified lawyer with preferably 0-4 years pqe with relevant asset finance experience in a well-regarded firm.
- Regularly demonstrates solid and deepening legal/practice knowledge
- Create an understanding and clarity of legal issues through effective questioning of client/senior internal team
- You will be comfortable with ambiguity, creating structure where there is no direct precedent
- You will be able to simplify complex legal issues for client/team stakeholders
- Understand the commercial drivers of the business of clients within the shipping industry
- Identify commercial opportunities for business development and cross-selling that arise from own work with the client and refers these as appropriate
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of the law firm as a business and the levers of profitability
- Contribute your own views and ideas and is receptive to those of others
- Interact and build relationships with people at all levels including external stakeholders
- Work well in both a team and individually with the ability to develop and work in a fast paced, intellectually rigorous environment
- Interact and build relationships with people at all levels
Lipson Lloyd Jones Ltd is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy. Please note our advertisements use PQE levels purely as a guide to the minimum level of experience required. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfill this kind of work.